I’m a firm believer in starting with WHY.
Often the “why” we do something is more important than the “how”. If we have a strong enough reason why, we’ll figure out how!
Unfortunately, when it comes to proper heating system maintenance, the “why” can be a bit scary. If a furnace is not venting properly, if the fireplace chimney is blocked, or if one of many other items is not operating properly as the cold weather approaches, the end result could be carbon monoxide poisoning. And… it could be fatal.
Sorry to be so negative right up front, but this is vitally important for your family’s safety. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), “each year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.”
So…what to do? Glad you asked!
First step – if you have a gas-fired appliance of any type (furnace, water heater, clothes dryer, fireplace, refrigerator – yeah, that one surprised me too… although not very common, there ARE gas-fired refrigerators!), a wood-burning fireplace, or an attached garage – you simply MUST have a carbon monoxide detector installed.… Read more...